Thursday, August 27, 2009

FANTASTIC FOUR Movie Review


FANTASTIC FOUR Movie Review

"Everything the Fantastic Four is supposed to be"

By Chad Derdowski August 27, 2009
Source: Mania


FANTASTIC FOUR Review
© Mania

A random encounter with notorious Fantastic Four foe The Wizard leaves Reed Richards questioning his place in the universe and his dedication to making the world a better place. As a result, he retreats to his Room of 100 Ideas, the secret lair where he houses The Bridge, a device that allows him to see alternate dimensions and realities. What he finds there is astounding – even for a guy who’s fought Galactus and been to the Negative Zone.

The Good

The relationship between Johnny and Ben was perfect. They’re not bratty kids constantly pestering each other, but brothers who might get on one another’s nerves and playfully tease each other, but still love each other as brothers would. The little moments with Reed and the kids were great and so was the big crazy cosmic stuff. Which is how the FF should be handled. I also really liked the “from one scientist to another” scenes with Mr. Fantastic and The Wizard. Dale Eaglesham’s art is a perfect fit for this book, and actually looks phenomenally better than his JSA run.

All-in-all, I don’t have much to complain about. This book impressed me on every level.

The Bad

The verdict is still out on Mr. Fantastic in short sleeves.

The Bottom Line

Cover art to FANTASTIC FOUR #570 by Dale Eaglesham

I had a pretty good inkling I was going to enjoy Hickman & Eaglesham’s work on this title, but I had no idea just how much I would enjoy it.

This is exactly how I expect the Fantastic Four to be treated and was worthy of the title “World’s Greatest Comic Magazine”. It’s not simply a bigger-than-life adventure, but an adventure of a truly cosmic scope: a multiverse and dimension-spanning adventure that leave the reader pondering the nature of the universe and stopping every so often to remember that this is a family who cares very deeply for one another.

Not only did I not find fault with the writing and art in this issue, it was fun as hell! I had an absolute blast reading it and a smile on my face the entire time. I like Jonathan Hickman quite a bit but I wasn’t sure if he was a “big, cosmic” guy. Turns out he has either been channeling the spirit of Jack Kirby and communing with Stan Lee on the astral plane or he’s been eating a whole lot of mushrooms lately – he jumped in with both feet on this title and seems to be enjoying the hell out of it. Obviously, I did too.

WATCH / DOWNLOAD FANTASTIC FOUR ONLINE NOW!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment